Wednesday, November 5, 2008

our new president


I have been warned for years by my various teacher's about being 'too' political. I have been told to not state my political views publicly. Part of this warning is based upon the separation of church and state and part of it is about not alienating potential new practitioners who may have opposing views. I have chosen to follow the great American Patriarch of Zen, Robert Aitken Roshi who has been always willing to adhere to his opinions on freedom.
It seems to me that Jesus wasn't shy about challenging the Romans and the Tax Collectors. It seems that Buddha was willing to challenge the Brahmin's on the 'caste' system and accept women, beggars, untouchables, and criminals into his flock. If we aren't willing to expose ourselves, then we aren't willing to be true to the truths that this country was founded upon. So I'd like to say the following:
I have been split on this and finally I decided that enough was enough. I have every right to state my Political Opinion as any other citizen in this country. I would also like to say that I am not officially endorsing anyone from my position as a spiritual guide.
Last night I was moved to tears. Not since John F. Kennedy, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King has an American Change Agent uttered such eloquent and inspiring words. May God bless us all and realizing that this is only the beginning we must all now apply ourselves and assist in the process. No more pointing outside to an external enemy who actually exists within, we must all change and know that our lives and our children's lives are dependent on what each of us achieve and do over the next four years. Each one of us has to take the lead, also we must follow our Executive Branch and contribute to the success of "our" government.

Buddha said it well, "find it yourself!"

I have always respected Malcolm X for his statements on the Kennedy Assassination, and these words led to his final ousting from the "Nation of Islam." Malcolm X said in a televised interview about the Kennedy Assassination; "this is a clear case of the chickens comin' home to roust."

I feel the the overwhelming support for Barrak O'Bama is that this is a clear case of the chickens comin' home to roust. Start clucking and crowing America, your time for change has come; but know that the change will never happen if we don't begin now to take back a nation that has become lost in greed and power.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Dear Teacher,

Congrats to all in the US (those who are celebrating and those who are not... nobody got hurt!)

Just a silly point: but wasn't buddha pretty reluctant on the issue of women?

It should certainly be a choice, but I like the separation of church and state thing better myself the reason of non-exclusion as you point out being a justification alone (I am of Irish Catholic stock though, so the church/state thing is really still quite fresh in my mind). In this world I can see great merit in people of vastly different political/ world views practicing dropping them off together.

maybe if Obama is a big disappointment you'll go back feeling the same way!

All the best,

Harry.

November 5, 2008 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger Uku said...

Important. Sometimes it's good to show what you stand for.

Greetings from Finland. From my personal Finnish viewpoint I'm very happy that Obama won the U.S. presidential elections. I just hope that he keep his promises to help your country and to participate more in national and international environment and human rights issues, more than Bush.

Gassho,
Uku

November 5, 2008 at 5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for standing up for your convictions! I've always thought that the most curious thing about groups like the Buddhist Peace Fellowship, or the Engaged Buddhism movement - was that they needed to exist *at all*

How can a Buddhist who takes their practice and the precepts seriously *not* be engaged? Politically active?

And as a Buddhist teacher, this, like all other aspects of life is yet another great teaching opportunity - allowing us to say to our students, this is where my reason and heart of have taken me - now go investigate for yourself how it is for you.

November 5, 2008 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger Mini Me said...

His words certainly were inspiring, and I too was moved to tears.

We have a lot to look forward to, and you have every right to show your enthusiasm! Sometimes the joy is just too great to hold inside- share it with the world.

November 5, 2008 at 7:23 AM  
Blogger Algernon said...

It was so cool, wasn't it? It was a pretty high-minded campaign compared to most, a worthy candidate, and an election that had a low degree of mishaps and shenanigans.

Opinions are just opinions, but not everyone understands that and so, yes, there is a role for etiquette - especially in an environment like a dharma talk at Zen Center. I am involved with a Zen Center where there is a discussion group and a lot of open airing of opinions, and it presents a certain challenge for the head priest, as people lose track of themselves and forget that their opinions aren't facts.

And yet, since so much of this mess we're in is because of opinions, we might as well talk about them and how they work.

November 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home